Saturday, June 27, 2009

Honey, the chickens are gone!!!

The Sri Lankan police came to the STN property today to check out the "scene" of the crime for the robbery of my camera, cell phone, ipod and money. They gave me two options...I can either lie and say my things were "lost on the beach," they would write me a police report right then and there, I would have physical evidence to give to the insurance company back home, or I could state in the report that it was a robbery (telling the truth), and stay in Sri Lanka until they found the theives and the case closed. If I left the country, the case would be dropped and I would receive no documentation about the incident and wouldn't have anything to turn in for insurance...

Do I lie, or bend over and take it?

I really felt like I wasn't to lie about the situation...I was really struggling with not receiving any documentation and brokedown and cried in front of 4 police officers and half of our team. In the middle of my frustration, God spoke to my heart and told me He was with me and would never leave me...then He gave me the word "missing." My things are missing (more specifically stolen), I would be able to receive the documentation I would need (hopefully I have insurance that will cover international travel otherwise I am screwed with getting a new phone, camera or ipod due to lack of funds).

My Sri Lankan police report now includes my "missing" items...as I sat in the police station (that smelled like urine) next to a typewritter on a desk (the one you have to manually push to the other side after finishing one line of words), and as a Sri Lankan police officer tried to "copy" (hand writting onto another piece of "official" paper), I wondered if anything would be followed up on or if I would even see my stuff (most importantly my pictures) ever again.

Just then, a family came in and our translator told us they were taking 2 men to court because the men stole two of the family's chickens.

At least God has a sense of humor in letting me know that He is with me in every situation, He cares about me so much, and He loves to bless me so that I can be a blessing to others...

Home in T-minus 5 days!

1 comment:

  1. Yep-NEVER ok to lie...it will always be taken care of by God if we follow His laws...
    can't wait to see you lady! xx

    ReplyDelete